Aloo Curry Recipe, How to make potato bhaji
Aloo Curry Recipe – Soft Potato curry which is stuffed in the dosa makes masala dosa a terrific South Indian breakfast.
How many of us like Masala Dosa? Oh no, wrong question. I should have asked how many of us don’t like masala dosa? Now why I have reversed the question is, it’s hard to count the number of people who like it. And I doubt if anyone doesn’t like masala dosa.
Now what makes the masala dosa so special? Yes the Aloo Curry Recipe. Light and fluffy golden coloured dosas stuffed with Aloo Curry and served with chutney and sambar. Anyone would crave for it.
This Aloo Curry Recipe is so easy going with other breakfast dishes like Chapathi, Poori etc. I have seen people who would deny taking Vegetable Kurma/Sagu for poori and asking for this aloo curry. And people really go mad when this aloo curry is served in less quantity. Well that’s the magic it creates.
This Aloo Curry Recipe is so simple to make. I always make this along with Peanut Chutney for masala dosa. But the story doesn’t end there for me, I either sprinkle some Pottukadalai Podi or Idli Milagai Podi or Tomato Chutney over dosa and stuff this aloo curry in it.
Bangalore is famous for masala dosa. And every other “Sagara”, “Darshini”, “Upahara” restaurants have their own taste of this Aloo Curry Recipe. One cannot refrain from barging into restaurants like MTR, CTR, Vidyarthi Bhavan, SLV Corner to have a bite of this crispy and delicious masala dosas.
The taste of this Aloo curry recipe greatly depends upon the amount of potatoes and onions added. There is should always be a balanced proportion of both the ingredients to get the best curry. Some even like adding more of green chillies also. But since most of the times we prepare it for breakfast it is always better to make it less spicy.
Let us see how to make this Aloo Curry Recipe for Dosa.
- Medium sized potatoes: 4
- Onions: 2 medium sized roughly chopped.
- Green chillies: 4-5
- Ginger (optional): 1 inch finely chopped
- Lemon Juice: extracted from half portion of lime.
- Fresh Coriander: ¼ cup finely chopped
- Salt: To taste
- Turmeric: ¼ spoon
- Chana Dal (Optional): 1 spoon
- Mustard and Cumin Seeds: 1 spoon each
- Curry Leaves: Few
- Oil: 1.5 tbsp.
- Prick the potatoes with fork and boil them to extent that they can be mashed. Peel the skin, mash and keep it aside
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add in Chana dal followed by mustard and cumin seeds
- Add in Turmeric and curry leaves.
- Now add chopped ginger and green chillies and fry for half a minute
- Add in the chopped onions and fry until they are 75% done.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes into the pan, add salt and mix well.
- Simmer the curry for 5 minutes.
- Take it out from the stove and squeeze in lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve it with hot crispy dosa and chutney.