Green Chilly Chutney, How to make Green Chilli Chutney
Green Chilly Chutney – Fiery Hot chutney made with adding more green chillies to tamarind and jaggery mixture. Too good to have with Dosa and Rice.
If you are the one who love to have spicy chutneys for dosas like me, then this Green Chilli Chutney is surely for you. Since we add more number of green chillies this is really hot. That is why the green chillies are slightly roasted in oil to reduce the spice levels a bit. Also few fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds) are added to compensate the heating effect.
We used to prepare this green chilly chutney at home over the weekends as we do not eat onions on Saturdays. The next option for not so spicy chutney is Coconut chutney.
Once this green chilly chutney is prepared it can served both with rice and dosas. Moreover it can be refrigerated for a longer time.
Let us see how to make Green Chilly Chutney
- Green Chillies: 10-15
- Tamarind: Gooseberry sized soaked in warm water
- Jaggery: 3 tbsp. or to taste
- Fenugreek seeds: 1 spoon
- Urad Dal (Black Gram): 1 spoon
- Fresh Coriander: 1/3 cup
- Salt: To taste
- Oil: 1 tbsp.
- Turmeric: A pinch
- Mustard and cumin seeds: 1 spoon each
- Asafoetida: ¼ spoon
- Curry leaves: Few
- Oil: 1 tbsp.
- Heat oil in a pan and roast Green Chillies, Urad dal, methi seeds and coriander one by one
- Grind them along with Tamarind Extract, Jaggery, Turmeric and salt to a smooth chutney.
- Prepare the tempering with the given ingredients and pour it over the chutney and mix well.
- To reduce the spice levels reduce the amount of green chillies to half and add in more of fresh coriander.