Homemade Mango Jam/Mango Spread
Homemade Mango Jam: Homemade spread for your loved ones to spread generously on breads and rotis. Obviously its preservative free.
Kids love breads with butter and jam spread on it. Going a step further they even like it with rotis. There are various flavours of jams and spreads available now a days including the chocolate ones. But none can beat the fruit flavour.
Sometimes in spite of having a plate full of South Indian breakfast, I used to grab a piece of bread and jam combo at the cafeteria just to relish that fruity flavour.
Apart from the red glossy mixed fruit jam, we also get pineapple, grape and berry flavours. But we should not forget that they contain some amount of preservatives and citric acid. Some kids are quite allergic to food with preservatives and hence tackling with such issues becomes a challenge. Of course we should look out for some work around methods to face these issues on daily basis. This homemade Mango Jam is one such helper.
Now that its summer, a season for fresh juicy and sweet mangoes, so I thought why not try something different like how I tried Mango Sorbet last year.
The type of mangoes that you choose matters a lot for making this jam. If you are using a fibrous variety make sure you make them as smooth as possible by removing the strands before the preparation.
Let us see how to make this Homemade Mango Jam/ Mango Spread
- Fresh Mango Pulp: 1 Cup
- Sugar: ¾ cup
- Lemon juice: Squeezed from half lemon
- Puree the mango pieces to a smooth pulp
- To this add lemon juice and whip it well
- Transfer this to a sauce pan and add sugar and mix well
- Heat it on a low flame and keep stirring it so that it doesn’t stick to the sides. Heat it for approximately 12 -15 minutes
- By this time the mixture starts boiling well. Put a drop of mixture into a cup of cold water
- If it settles down at the bottom like a droplet, it means it’s done. Otherwise boil it for few more minutes.
- Cool it and transfer it to an airtight container.