Idli Milagai Podi, Idli Podi Recipe
Idli Milagai Podi – Roasted lentils blended to a fine powder along with spices and jaggery gives a distinct tangy taste. Comes in handy for any South Indian Breakfast.
Idli Milagai Podi is also called chutney podi or chutney pudi in other South Indian languages.
This Idli Milagai Podi occupies a special place in my kitchen. Name sake it is Idli podi, but it can be eaten with many other dishes including just plain rice with ghee. This is one of the podi recipes which mom used to make in large quantities to store it for a longer period of time and also to give it to near and dear.
Idli Milagai podi can also be used in our snacks time. Mix some poha (Flaked Rice) with this podi along with little oil or ghee and taste it. It is so yummy. Just like Pottukadalai Podi spread it on dosas while making and enjoy.
Let us see how to make this Idli Milagai Podi Recipe
- Chana dal (Bengal gram) : 1 Cup
- Urad Dal (Black gram) : 1 Cup
- Red Chillies : 15
- Coriander Seeds : 1 tbsp.
- Methi Seeds : 1 tbsp.
- Dry Coconut : ¾ th cup grated
- Tamarind: Goose berry Sized
- Jaggery : 3 tbsp. grated or as per taste
- Salt : To taste
- Turmeric and Asafoetida : ¼ th spoon each.
- Oil: 1 tbsp.
- Roasted all the ingredients except tamarind and jaggery separately adding few drops of oil. Make sure you roast until they turn slightly brown and aromatic.
- Do not roast Red Chillies for more than a minute.
- Cool them and grind it to a fine powder adding Tamarind Flakes, Jaggery, Salt, Turmeric and asafoetida
- Once cooled store in an air tight container
- Clean the tamarind before adding to the remaining ingredients. Make sure all the seeds and threads are removed.
- Separate the tamarind as flakes and grind it with the rest of the ingredients. Do not soak tamarind in water.