Mango Rice Recipe, Mamidikayi Pulihora
Mango Rice Recipe – Another sour rice recipe, made with grated raw mango. Simple and easy in preparation. Ideal for lunch box.
Another recipe added to my summer recipes list. I like this Mango Rice recipe a lot because of the distinct sautéed mango taste. And also the ease of the preparation is another reason. When cooking for two people it is enough if only half of the mango is grated. While the recipe tastes great with sour raw mangoes, it definitely tastes different with slightly sweet raw mangoes. In addition to sour taste it also adds some sweetness.
This Mango Rice recipe is a no onion and no garlic recipe and hence it is even prepared on festivals. The first South Indian festival of summer season is Ugadi. So on Ugadi this Mango Rice is prepared with the season’s first set of raw mangoes.
As I mentioned earlier the quantity of the mango used in this recipe may be varied according to ones preferences. Some may like it more sour while some may not like it. I have given few add ons to this Mango rice recipe at the end of this post with which the taste slightly varies and also helps in adjusting the sourness
For similar lunch box recipes do take a look at
Let us see how to make Mango Rice recipe:
- Grated Raw Mango: 1/3 cup
- Cooked rice: 3 cups
- Green Chillies: 2
- Red chillies: 1
- Peanuts: 1.5 tbsp.
- Mustard and cumin seeds: 1 spoon each
- Curry leaves: Few
- Turmeric and Asafoetida: ¼ spoon each
- Oil: 1.5 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and once hot add in the peanuts and fry until they turn slightly brown.
- Take them out and keep it separately. This way you can avoid over roasting of the peanuts.
- In the same pan add in the mustard and cumin seeds to splutter.
- Add in curry leaves followed by red chillies, turmeric and asafoetida
- Add in the green chillies and fry for few seconds
- Now add in the grated mango and fry until they turn soft
- Now add in the cooked rice, roasted peanuts and salt and mix well
- Simmer the rice for another 5 to 7 mins and switch of the stove
- Serve it with papads and fryums
- Here are some add ons to vary the taste of the Mango Rice recipe
- Add in little fresh grated coconut at the end for mild sweet flavour
- Add in ¾ spoon of mustard powder. It helps to reduce to the sourness of the mango added and also gives a little strong flavour