Methi Rice Recipe, Menthe Soppu Anna
Methi Rice Recipe is one of the classic lunch box recipes. It is made by sautéing methi leaves adding up the masala and then mixed with rice.
Personally I like Methi Rice Recipe because it gets over in no time. I plan to make this rice for lunch box when I want to finish the cooking fast. The lovely methi leaves are kind enough to get fried up soon.
Methi Rice Recipe is sometimes prepared on festivals. This can be prepared even with the left over rice. I have topped it up by adding some green peas. It is also aromatic because of Bisibele Bhath Powder which we add into this recipe. The rich flavour of Cinnamon in the masala powder is a bliss.
Lunch box recipes in Karnataka acquire a different taste because of the various masala powders available. There are very good quality of masala powders that are available in the market which is made by local people. Some prepare all the essential powders are prepared at home itself. While I used Bisibele Bhath Powder for this Methi Rice Recipe, my friend Smitha has used Vangi Bath powder for one of her lunch box recipes. Check out her Capsicum bath Recipe
I always prefer well fried methi leaves for this Methi Rice recipe. Added to that I also fry the Masala powder for a better taste. The only suggestion what I would like to give is if you are using the left over rice make sure you add few spoons of water to keep the rice moist. This is applicable for any rice recipe which is made out of left out rice. Otherwise it becomes very dry by the time we eat it.
So let us see how to make Methi Rice Recipe
- Cooked Rice: 3 Cups
- Fresh Methi Leaves (Fenugreek Leaves): ½ bunch
- Fresh or Frozen Green Peas (Optional): ½ cup
- Bisibele Bhath Powder: 3 tbsp.
- Chilli Powder: 1 tbsp.
- Salt: To taste
- Oil: 2 tbsp.
- Mustard and Cumin Seeds: 1 spoon each
- Turmeric and Asafoetida: A pinch each
- Curry leaves: Few
- Heat oil in a pan and add in mustard and cumin seeds to splutter
- Now add in Turmeric and Asafoetida along with curry leaves
- Add the chopped methi leaves and fry for 2 mins
- Add in the green peas and fry until both Green peas and methi leaves are done
- Add in salt, Bisibele Bhath Powder, Chilli Powder and mix well and fry for another 2 mins.
- Add in cooked rice and mix well until the entire rice is well quoted with masalas.
- Simmer and cook until the rice becomes hot.
- Serve hot with a cool Raitha.