Palak Matar Chawal, Spinach Green Peas Rice
Palak Matar Chawal : A tasty and simple, easy to make pulao with all the goodness of Spinach with tiny green peas coming in between.
I made this Palak Matar Chawal on the eve of Dasara with a intention of making something different out of routine. Really liked the spinach flavour in the rice. This is so easy rice that can be made in a jiffy.
First of all I actually read a different version of this recipe with just the spinach in one of the Satvik Recipe Books, finally made my own modification to make it more aromatic and little strong in flavours. Unlike many other rice recipes this is a no onion no garlic rice recipe which is an added advantage.
Long grain Basmati Rice is used to make this Palak Matar Chawal. Even normal small grain rice can also be used. But when you are using basmati rice make sure you soak it in water for half an hour before cooking. This ensures long grainy rice.
I kept this Palak Matar Chawal simple by adding minimum spices.I realised that the combination of spinach and pepper powder is really awesome.This tastes great when served with a raitha or just curd and few papads.
You can also fry grean peas for a little longer time to get that extra crunch or just cook until soft. Furthermore the greenish colour of both spinach and green peas makes this rice attractive and appealing.
If you have liked this recipe please do share it on your favourite Social Media to spread some love.
Let us see how to make this Palak Matar Chawal
- Cooked Rice : 2 Cups
- Fresh Spinach : 1 small bunch
- Green Peas fresh or frozen: ½ cup
- Green Chillies: 2
- Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder) : 1 spoon
- Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder) : 1 spoon
- Garam Masal Powder : ½ spoon
- Pepper Powder: ½ spoon
- Lemon Juice : 2 tbsp
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Butter/Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Bay Leaf : ½ piece
- Black Cumin (Shahi Jeera) : 1 tbsp.
- Salt: As per taste
- Heat Oil in a pan and add in Bay Leaf and Cumin seeds to splutter
- Add green chillies and fry for a minute
- Now add in green peas and fry until soft and little crunchy
- Add chopped Palak (Spinach) and fry until it turns dark green in colour and soft.
- Add in Jeera, Dhania, Garam Masala Powders, mix well and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in cooked rice along with salt and pepper powder and mix well.
- Simmer until the rice turns hot.
- Switch off the stove, mix lemon juice and serve.