Pickled Green Chillies, Lemon Chilli
Pickled Green Chillies, Lemon Chilli : A tasty, spicy and sour lemon pickle. The speciality of this pickle is that it is oil free.
Not only Mango pickle, there many varieties even in lemon pickle. While in South India it is mostly spicy and in North India there are even sweet pickles made from lemon. Lemon Pickle is considered a best accompaniment for dal rice and curd rice.
I personally tasted many variations of lemon pickle and this Pickled Green Chillies is my favourite. It has all the goodness and flavour of both lemon and green chillies. In addition to that it has ginger which makes it yummy.
My mom used to marinate lemon pieces in big buckets and used to distribute it among all the relatives and neighbours. She used to make this Pickle Green Chillies and store it two big sized Horlicks bottles and never used to allow us to touch them with the fear that the bottles might break or pickle getting spoiled. During my childhood I used to pick only lemon pieces from the pickle and eat with the fear of spicy green chillies. So finally there used to only green chillies left out. And once I started liking green chillies I used to eat them from this pickle leaving lemon.
This Pickled Green Chillies recipe is very easy to prepare and it can be prepared in any part of the year and in any quantity provided proper care is taken to keep it away from moisture. This is totally oil free pickle which another advantage.
Let us see how to make this Pickled Green Chillies, Lemon Chilli
- Fresh Lemon : 8-10
- Green Chillies: 8-10
- Ginger: 1.5 inch
- Salt: As per taste
- Turmeric powder: ¼ tbsp.
- Hing(optional) : A pinch
- Wash the lemon and pat dry. Cut each lemon into 8 pieces.
- Wash and dry up the green chillies and remove the stem and cut into long strips
- Peel the skin of ginger and cut it into small pieces.
- Transfer all the ingredients to a wide mouthed jar and add salt, turmeric and hing and mix well.
- Allow this mixture to marinate well for a day or two and then refrigerate if required.
- After a day check for the salt and add little more if required and mix well. If salt is less then the pickles tend to spoil very soon.
- Always use a dry spoon to serve