Raw Mango Masala, మామిడికాయ మసాలా
Raw Mango Masala – Raw Mango cooked in the aroma of Carom Seeds and spicy green chilies
We can get best quality of Raw Mangoes in summer. They taste best when it is sour. Raw Mango is used extensively in Andhra Cuisine from Pickles, Chutneys, to Dals. My Avakkai and Thokkudu Pachadi are few such tasty pickles.
In Bangalore we get Raw Mangoes round the year, but they don’t taste as great as the seasonal ones. It can be used only for the sake of our cravings for Mangoes.
In this dish Raw Mango is cooked along with whole green chilies and this is what I was attracted to. A piece of green chilly along with a piece of mango scooped up with a piece of roti, or mixed along with a morsel of ghee topped hot rice tastes heavenly. The ajwain seeds add up the flavor.
I came across this dish somewhere when I was searching for some other dish. That’s it I was desperately waiting to prepare it. It tasted so good with phulkas. The next time I prepared it at mom’s house along with mooli paratha. She liked it so much that she said she would eat it along with rice on the next day.
So here is how we prepare Raw Mango Masala
- Raw Mango : One – Medium Sized
- Long Green chilies: 4-5
- Ajwain (Carom Seeds) : ½ spoon
- Water: 1 ½ cup
- Jeera (Cumin) Powder: 1/4th spoon
- Mustard Seeds : ½ spoon
- Hing (Asafetida): A pinch
- Haldi(Turmeric Powder): A pinch
- Curry leaves: A few
- Oil: 1 tbsp.
- Salt: As per taste
- Peel the skin of the Raw Mango and cut it into long pieces.
- Wash Green chilies and slit them along length wise. The chilies I had were very long so I had cut them into half and then slit them length wise.
- Boil Water in a vessel and add the raw mango pieces and simmer it for 5-7 mins. Once this cools the mango pieces turn pale yellow and whole mixture attains jelly consistency if correct amount of water is used. If more water is used for boiling then take out the pieces and use small quantity of the stock
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds to splutter.
- Add ajwain followed with haldi, hing, turmeric and curry leaves.
- Now add the green chilies and fry well until the outer skin of the chilies start turning white
- If the mango mixture is thick then empty the mango contents as it is into the pan. If there is more water, just add the mango pieces and little stock and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Add salt, jeera powder, mix well and cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Our spicy flavored mango masala is ready to be served with rice or roti