Ridge gourd peel chutney,Peerkangai Thol Thogayal
Ridge gourd peel chutney,Peerkangai Thol Thogayal (Tamil), Beerakaaya Thokkala Pachadi(Telugu) is one of my favourite Chutneys. It’s healthier too. The goodness of Ridge gourd, rich fibre content in the peel and other spices makes it healthier and tastier.
Whenever there is ridge gourd at home, mom use to make this Ridge gourd peel chutney,Peerkangai Thol Thogayal. I was so crazy that I used to skip eating Ridge Gourd Recipes and wait for this chutney. I always try to match the taste of all these chutneys to what mom makes. They taste great but to me what she makes is the best. I crave for her chutneys so much.
Do take a look at some of the Chutney Recipes like,
Coming to this Ridge gourd peel chutney,Peerkangai Thol Thogayal, It can be prepared even few days later after you have used ridge gourd. Only thing we need to do is store these ridge gourds peels in an airtight container and then refrigerate it. Few things need to be kept in mind while making this chutney, which I am giving it at the end of the post.
Let us see how to make Ridge gourd peel chutney
- Ridge Gourd Peel : Extracted out of one Ridge Gourd
- Coriander Seeds: 1 Spoon
- Methi (fenugreek) Seeds : ½ spoon
- Split Urad Dal (Black Gram) : 1 spoon
- Grated Jaggery : 1.5 tbsp.
- Red and Green Chillies: 2 each
- Tamarind : Lemon Sized soaked in water
- Asafoetida: A pinch
- Salt: as per taste
- Oil : 2 tbsp.
- Mustard and Cumin Seeds: 1 Spoon Each
- Asafoetida and Turmeric; One Pinch Each
- Red Chillies : 1
- Curry Leaves : Few
- Oil: 1.5 tsp.
- Before using the Ridge Gourd, Wash and peel the skin and keep it separate
- Heat oil in a pan and once hot add in the Ridge Gourd Peel and fry until they start changing the colour
- Take them out on a plate and in the same pan roast Urad Dal, Methi Seeds, Coriander Seeds, and Red Chillies one by one. Add few drops of oil if required. As and when each ingredient is roasted take them out and add the next one
- Now add in green Chillies and asafoetida and cook until the chillies skin turn white
- Allow all the ingredients to cool and meanwhile extract the pulp out of soaked Tamarind
- Grind all these adding Salt and Jaggery adding very little water if required to smooth/coarse paste.
- Prepare Tempering with the given ingredients, add it into the Ridge gourd Peel Chutney, Peerkangai Thol Thogayal and mix well.
- Serve with Hot Rice and Ghee or Chapathi
- Just Like cucumber, Check for the bitterness while chopping Ridge Gourd. Some of them might taste bitter
- When you make this Ridge gourd Peel Chutney, Peerkangai Thol Thogayal do not peel the ridge gourd skin with a peeler. Instead remove with a knife so that it carries little pulp of the ridge gourd and it makes it even tastier.
- You can also Prepare Raw Banana Peel Chutney on Similar Lines. Only care need to be taken is that the peel should soak in water to avoid turning it to black colour. Preferable prepare the Banana Peel Chutney on the same day, when you chop the raw Banana.