Sevai Upma , Vermicelli Upma recipe
Can we call this Indian Noodles? Well yes if you want to. Sevai Upma is on the list of Indian breakfast recipes well before noodles stepped in. This is really delicious and can be prepared with many variations.
When we talk about Vermicelli the first thing that comes to mind is the “Payasam”. Who will say no to this divine dessert? And when we talk about any vermicelli dish the brand that flashes in mind is “Bambino”. I still remember how I used to grab a pack of Bambino Vermicelli and quickly check the recipe that is printed on the pack. That is how mom once made “ Semiya Pulihora”” with that. Down the line came “Anand Semiya” whose advertisement was screened in movie theatres then.
Now a days we get many varieties of Vermicelli and this Sevai Upma tastes good with any kind. Apart from the regular variety now we even get vermicelli made of rice and ragi. There is even roasted vermicelli readily available for making payasam. There are still many families who make Sevai at home. Especially for festival occasions, some families still do not use the store bought vermicelli.
Now talking about this sevai upma, the preparation is very much similar to that of making noodles except with the ingredients that goes in. The recipe which I am going to narrate now is a the most simple version and is quite famous in Karnataka State. I have kept it very simple by just adding some sliced onions and topped it with freshly grated coconut.The step by step procedure of making this recipe is given below the Recipe Card
Let us see how to make Sevai Upma , Vermicelli Upma recipe
- Vermicelli/Sevai/Semiya : 2 cups any variety
- Onions : 1
- Green chillies : 3-4
- Fresh Grated Coconut : ½ cup
- Salt : To taste
- Oil: ½ tbsp.
- Oil : 1.5 tbsp.
- Chana dal : 1 spoon
- Mustard and cumin seeds : 1 spoon each
- Curry leaves : Few
- Boil the vermicelli and keep it aside.
- In a pan add in the rest of oil and add in chana dal once hot.
- Add in mustard and cumin seeds to splutter and then add curry leaves.
- Now add chopped green chillies, followed by sliced onions and fry until they are soft
- Add in the boiled vermicelli, salt and mix well
- Finally add in grated coconut, mix well and switch off the stove.
- Serve hot with any chutney or Milagai Podi.
- 1) Here is perfect method to boil vermicelli : In a deep bottomed pan add in 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add in the vermicelli and boil for 3 to 4 mins until it becomes soft. Take care that they would not turn mushy. Drain the vermicelli into another porous bowl and immediately keep it under cold running water for a minute. Add half spoon of oil into the vermicelli and mix well with hand. This procedure prevents the vermicelli from becoming sticky.
- 2) You can also add vegetable like finely chopped carrots, tomatoes and capsicum to this sevai upma and finally squeeze out lemon juice from half of lemon
Boil the vermicelli and keep it aside.
In a pan add in the rest of oil and add in chana dal once hot.
Add in mustard and cumin seeds to splutter and then add curry leaves.
Now add chopped green chillies, followed by sliced onions and fry until they are soft
Add in the boiled vermicelli, salt and mix well
Finally add in grated coconut, mix well and switch off the stove.