Southekayi Anna, Lemon Cucumber Rice
Southekayi Anna – Sour Lemon Cucumber tossed with a tasteful mixture of spices and then mixed with rice. Too good for lunch box.
This Southekayi Anna, Lemon Cucumber rice recipe is from my close friend. She learnt it from her mom. Let me reiterate it again that it is very very easy to make. There is no need of blending any spices or nuts exclusively for this recipe. All you need to do cook rice and dice the lemon cucumber.
The only ingredients that are added along with the vegetable is Sambar Powder and Chilli Powder. The soft diced lemon cucumber absorbs all the flavour of the Sambar Powder and gives a very unique flavour to this dish.
Southekayi Anna, Lemon Cucumber rice is perfect to pack it for lunch box as it can be prepared in a jiffy. Serve it with salted or sweetened curd and some papads or any other raitha.
The only care to be taken while preparing this Southekayi Anna, Lemon Cucumber rice is that to check for the taste of the lemon cucumber. Some of them might taste bitter. I have explained about the same in my Lemon Cucumber Chutney and Dal Recipes.
Let us see how to make this Southekayi Anna, Lemon Cucumber Rice
- Lemon Cucumber: 1 Small Sized
- Cooked Rice: 2.5 Cups
- Green Chillies: 1
- Sambar Powder: 2.5 tbsp.
- Chilli Powder: 1 spoon (optional)
- Chana dal: 1 spoon
- Cumin and Mustard Seeds: 1 Spoon each
- Turmeric and asafoetida: A pinch each
- Curry leaves: Few
- Oil: 2 tbsp.
- Salt: To taste
- Cook Rice and keep it aside
- Wash the cucumber, check for the bitterness and then dice into cubes. You can retain the skin for that extra crunchiness
- Heat oil in a pan and add in all the tempering ingredients one after the other
- Now add in green chilli pieces and fry for a minute
- Add in the diced cucumber and sauté until they are done
- Now add Sambar Powder and mix well so that the cucumber cubes gets coated well with the sambar powder
- Add the cooked rice , followed by salt and chilli powder and mix well
- Simmer this rice for 5 mins
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.